Austrian Vienna Philharmonic
Austrian Vienna Philharmonic Overview
Minted beginning in 1989, all Philharmonics is minted at the Austrian Mint AG, now a subsidiary of the Austrian National Bank. The Mint was established in 1194 and has remained in its current building since 1837.
The Austrian Mint guarantees the Philharmonic’s weight and purity and backs its monetary face value, which was the highest of any gold bullion coin when it was denominated in Schilling, prior to the creation and acceptance of the Euro. Philharmonics make an excellent addition to a portfolio for collectors seeking 24-karat gold coins.
Austrian Vienna Philharmonic Design
The obverse features the great organ in the Vienna’s Golden Concert Hall (Musikverein), which houses the Philharmonic Orchestra. Arranged underneath the organ are the weight, fineness, date of issue, and face value in Euros. Prior to 2002, the face value was denominated in Schilling. At top sits the official name of the country, REPUBLIK ÖSTERREICH.
The reverse depicts a collection of orchestral instruments: a cello, four violins, a Vienna horn, bassoon, and harp. These instruments are arranged underneath the German name of the orchestra: WIENER PHILHARMONIKER.